Saturday, July 2, 2011

Time is running out...(the self-imposed reading project)

     I made an effort, starting in August of 2010, to pay attention to what I was reading.  This was in part to avoid some of the re-reading I am for which I have a tendency; say, when was the last time I read Dutchman (by Richard A. Knaak) or Oath of Fealty  (by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle)?  It was also in part to ensure that I was reading more substantive titles, the type of material I had been avoiding for some time.
    Well, I have one month left on the clock and it isn't looking good as I had hoped, but maybe about what should have been expected.  According to my count, and that should be accurate, I'm at: 23 plays, 4 non-fiction books (and one essay), 15 novels, and 50 short stories.  Who do I blame for any shortfall?  Netflix.  I have watched something in the neighborhood of 100 movies and 9 seasons of television shows in the last seven months.  The really cut down on the reading.
     Still, there were some triumphs.  Two of the shorter novels -- novellas, really -- were started and finished on the same day.  I read three of Stephen Woodward's Violet series (oddly starting with #2, With Red Hands, a book sent by my aunt that I picked up because it fit in my pocket when I was looking for something to read on the train) in two days each.  I have taken the real reading as seriously as I should and still managed to read some fluff, some filler.
     I have one novel and seven plays in the hope to finish before the deadline pile.  I'm hoping to read one more non-fiction book and maybe an collection of short stories in addition to those.  I have so many books I want to read, ones I already own -- wasn't I supposed to have finished Next of Kin: What Chimpanzees Have Taught Me About Who We Are and Rousseau's Dog at some point? At any rate, come the beginning of next month I hope to have a few words on what I got out of that year (other than to avoid Netflix if you are serious about being a reader) and how I have managed to avoid so many books that nearly everyone else had read by the time they graduated high school.

No comments:

Post a Comment